Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Teaching Free Agency

"What's it like to be a free agent... a small business owner or independent professional?" That is the question I had the pleasure of answering yesterday before a group of students at Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management.

I was guest speaking with fellow bloggers George Nemeth of Brewed Fresh Daily, Steve Goldberg of What's in the Bag, and Greer Jordan.

Our audience consisted of management students. Most plan to enter the corporate world or work in hierarchical settings. We were there to broaden their horizons and give them a sense of alternative work environments.

I spoke about a trend I am seeing, that I call the "on again, off again entrepreneur." That's when people move back and forth between being employed and owning their own businesses.

My point was that many young people today can expect to be self-employed for some part of their working lives, even if their current intention is to "get a good job." In my next post I will write more about this trend.

Sandy Piderit, who is one of the class professors, describes it here at her blog (yes, she's a blogger too). George podcasted the whole thing here (m4a file).

No comments:

Post a Comment